This is a trek through the Aberdare Mountains is a fascinating walk amongst the exotic flora and fauna found above 2500 metres.Views of the Rift Valley are breath taking and the experience is made more memorable by camping above the surrounding forests, occasional encounters with big game such as elephant and buffalo, great bush buck and other antelopes.
The Aberdares (Nyandarua) overlooks the Great Rift Valley and lies on its eastern edge. There are two main peaks, Lesatima to the north and Kinangop to the south. Various species of wildlife inhabit these mountain ranges, hiding in the heavily forested slopes and in the upper moorlands. Walking is always cool with plenty of clear mountain streams. Our walk starts below the bamboo forest, climbing up onto the moorlands. There is always danger walking through the African bush but we do not expect many close encounters with large game. However, our trained and armed gameranger knows the area and the habits of the game.
Day 1 – Mweiga
Depart from our office in the morning., we go north to Mweiga to meet our guide and then up into the forested eastern slopes of the Aberdares ranges where we make camp.
Day 2 & 3 – Walking
Start our walk. Carry only what you need for the day’s walk, the vehicle will meet us in the moorlands where camp will be made. A short gamedrive if weather permits.
Day 4 – Nairobi
Depart the moorland camp (10,000ft) and descend by vehicle looking for game on the way. We drop off the guide and head back to Nairobi arriving before late afternoon.
Note: Clients should arrange to have good weatherproof clothing and a warm sleeping bag, a water bottle and good walking shoes plus a pair of shoes to wear in camp.
What is included in the price
– Transport by Four Wheel Drive safari vehicle
– Services of English speaking driver/safari cook?
– Flying Doctors evacuation cover
— All airport/hotel/airport transfers
– Game park entrance fees
– Services of an armed ranger
– All campsite fees
– All camping equipment including use of our 2-person tents, stools, foam mattresses, except sleeping bags
– Three meals a day while on safari whether vegetarian or non-vegetarian prepared by our safari chef
What is not included in the price
– Personal travel insurance
– Sleeping bags
– Hotel accommodation in Nairobi before and after the safari
– All airport taxes and visas
– Any other extras not stated as included above e.g. alcoholic beverages, gratuities to staff, etc